Hello Professor Lee,
I’ve been using mostly indica dominate strains since I started growing, but this time around I picked a sativa “haze” variety and they are just beginning to flower. My question is when is the best time to harvest them? With the indica plants I liked to harvest them when the resin glands were completely developed but not amber. This tones down the stereotypical heavy body high that I like to avoid. I grow for fun and can give the plants as long as they need to finish. Any advice?
The novice approach to determining harvest times is to wait until about 50-60% of the pistils turn amber, but this isn’t really the best method because pistil and trichome development are not directly connected. When I judge ripeness I prefer to use a simple jeweler’s loupe with a 30x to 60x magnification to examine the trichome development. For most hybrids the best time to harvest is when the bulbous heads of the resin glands turn milky. But with regards to your haze variety the best time to harvest will be when about 70% of the trichome heads are milky and the other 30% are amber. This stage is best for both flower harvest and hasish making.
Hope this helps