Dutch Passion Seed company are celebrating their 30 year anniversary in 2017
Not many seed companies have stayed in business long enough to reach that landmark. It’s a good time to look back at some of the highlights from the original ‘Masters At Work’
Dutch Passion was formally established in 1987, but the first genetics were collected in the 1970’s when Henk van Dalen was a Biology Student at Amsterdam University. In those days cannabis was being imported into Amsterdam from all over the world. Henk began collecting the different seeds from various batches of cannabis which in the early days came from numerous sources. Nigerian, South African, Brazilian, Filipino, Thai and even Californian cannabis was making its ways to the early Amsterdam Coffee shops and, unsurprisingly, these varieties were often quite different in terms of the effect of the cannabis and the quality. The seeds were collected and became the basis of the early Dutch Passion breeding. At the time, indoor growing techniques and equipment were quite basic, but Henk managed to grow the seeds and eventually the best plants were selected for breeding and eventual crossing. Soon it was clear that the cannabis being grown in Amsterdam was of superior quality to that being imported. The 1970’s indoor growing scene was small, but the community of first seed pioneers was already at work, and they had a good selection of cannabis genetics from all over the world to start from. Today, Dutch Passion still operate out of Amsterdam and have remained true to their original goal – to focus exclusively on supplying the best quality cannabis seeds.
Feminized cannabis seeds
Indoor cannabis growing began to take off in the 1980’s and 1990’s as good quality indoor varieties became increasingly available. At the same time the availability and quality of indoor grow lights and growing equipment began to improve. Cannabis was now being grown indoors and outdoors in Europe, North America, and elsewhere. Now that it was possible to grow your own cannabis, the focus began to shift towards growing with maximum convenience and quality. However, home growers were unhappy, and slightly paranoid, about having to germinate and grow male plants and calls were growing louder for feminized cannabis seeds (and since feminized vegetable seeds were already available many wanted feminized cannabis seeds). After numerous tests and techniques were tried, eventually Dutch Passion found a way to produce the first feminized cannabis seeds in the 1990’s. Dutch Passion may have been the first to invent feminized cannabis seeds, but eventually everyone else would follow. Today feminized cannabis seeds account for over 95% of all cannabis seeds sold.
Relentless search for quality
The Dutch Passion team operate in Europe, Russia, South America and Canada with employees in several different countries. Dutch Passion still have some of their original geneticists and breeders as well as young, eager new breeders and the team also enjoy established links to some of the best legal growers in the world, such as some USA, Canadian and South American licensed growers. This ensures continued access to the best emerging cannabis genetics around the world. Dutch Passion are now an international organization: their website is translated into 10 languages and seeds are supplied to growers of all sizes. From the self sufficient home grower looking to grow a few plants for personal use, to large legal growers producing thousands of cannabis plants, growers of all types and size trust Dutch Passion for their cannabis seeds. 30 years of Dutch Passion success comes from many years of repeat business from thousands of growers that demand the best quality and consistency. Many of the original Dutch Passion customers, resellers, grow shop owners and distributors are still with them 30 years later thanks to the same philosophy: To supply the best quality cannabis seeds and to continually innovate and explore new genetic lines.
Genetics, genetics, genetics.
Although they are remembered for giving feminized cannabis seeds to the world, Dutch Passion also point out a few other key contributions to the cannabis community:
- Outdoor genetics – By selectively breeding their outdoor varieties in Holland, Dutch Passion created a family of toughened outdoor varieties that could grow throughout Northern Europe and North America, even in tough climates. These varieties, such as Durban Poison, Frisian Dew, Hollands Hope and Passion #1 became the building blocks for many of today’s outdoor varieties.
- CBD-rich genetics – Whilst CBD-rich genetics are not mainstream for recreational growers, they are some of the most valued varieties by the medical growing community. Dutch Passion worked with specialist breeders ‘The CBD Crew’ to help create the first CBD-rich commercial varieties. Dutch Passion are also working on a future CBG-rich (Cannabigerol) cannabinoid variety.
- Autoflowering cannabis – By partnering closely with ‘The Joint Doctor’, who helped create autoflowering genetics, Dutch Passion established a strong pioneering position on the development of autoflowering cannabis over the last 10 years. Today autoflowering varieties are another mainstream cannabis seed development which few predicted. They grow from seed to harvest under 20 hours of daily light in 10-11 weeks with the same potency as traditional varieties. For many home growers, autos are easy and convenient for growing indoors and outdoors.
- Traditional photoperiod genetics – Many growers will be familiar with famous THC-rich Dutch Passion varieties such as Orange Bud, Mazar, Blueberry, White Widow, Master Kush and others. We can thank Dutch Passion for some solid genetic lines which have served the cannabis community well over the last 3 decades.
- Dutch Passion are the only seed bank with stable outdoor photoperiod and auto ‘Duck’ varieties. These grow with webbed cannabis leaves (similar shape to a Ducks foot print), they give natural stealth camouflage and are extremely difficult to identify as cannabis.
Continued focus on quality and convenience.
After 30 years at the top, and with a reputation for innovating, we look forward to seeing another 30 years from the Dutch Passion team. They have already begun expanding into the LED grow light industry with their sister company ‘Crazy LEDs & More’ and there are rumors that they are planning some other major new projects. We look forward to seeing the next chapter from Dutch Passion…
Source: Dutch Passion