This report describes my cabinet grow of four feminized Warlock babies. For me it was the
second time growing this Magus variety. The first Warlock grow left me very pleased with the resulting smoke. One can never have too much good headstash, right?
After germinating, the seedlings were planted in 0.5 litre pots in light mix. The following 20 days I vegged them under 4x18w fluorescent tubes. By then they had grown into nice compact plants, with dark green leaves. I planned to veg them a little longer, but since I use a single large soil container I figured it was time to replant them in order for their rooting system to increase and to benefit from the large amount of soil they would get under their feet.
To make things more clear, I will set out on the specifications of my grow cabinet first. The cabinet measures 31” x 35” and is equipped with 600 watt HPS lighting, 500 m3 exhaust ventilation and a circulation fan. Instead of pots I use a single large container, which contains approximately 200 liters of soil mixture. The soil has been used three cycles already, where after each grow, only the upper layer is replaced with about 50 litres of fresh soil mix. Also added are mycorhizae and a handful of earthworms.
In addition I use a tensiometer to measure the moisture content in the soil; an extremely useful tool for those who use large containers where it can prove difficult to tell how much moisture the medium contains. Due to the large amount of buffering soil and the added soil fungi, I also do not have to worry about monitoring the pH of the water and medium. Organic BAC vegging and flowering nutes are used from the start, albeit sparingly.
Back to the Warlocks. After moving them to the flower cabinet, I did not switch the timer to 12/12 for another 10 days. From the previous grow I more or less knew what to expect and so I figured this should give them sufficient time to fill up the available space. The vigor of warlock is extraordinary, especially prior to when the first flowers appear.
As an experiment, I topped 3 out of 4 plants. To create a more even canopy, steel hooks were used to guide some branches towards the side. I pruned the lower fan leaves and small shoots that did not receive much light. By this time, I really started to notice how homogenous the plants were. The growth rate was equally uniform, and so was the shape of the leafs. Especially during flowering it was hard to distinguish one plant from another. They did stretch a bit, but this was nothing to worry about. In fact I was happy with it, as it provided more room for the light to penetrate to lower parts of the plant. I also supercropped some of the branches that stretched more than others.
At this time the extraordinary strong, earthy scent really came about. Not surprising, looking at the genetics Warlock is composed of (Skunk x Afghan). Thank god for carbon filters!
In the 7th week of flowering, an abundance of new, fine white pistils emerge from the buds. As I estimated on them finishing earlier, I had already cut back on nutrients, so some leaves start to show some yellowing. I decide to stop feeding anyways, and let them use up the nutes that are left in the soil. However, I can see it being quite the heavy feeder in hydro setups.
Towards the end of the flowering cycle, the hairs turned tan instead of brownish. The main colas are now really packing on weight, with the main cola of the untopped plant falling over on its own weight. It is after 82 days of flowering that I decide to harvest them. I discovered a miniscule bit of botrytis in one of the largest buds, and I did not want to take any risk. They could have gone a few days longer, but with rain forecasted and thus increased humidity I figured it would be safest to harvest them now.
Manicuring was a breeze. Excellent calyx/leaf ratio, with only the tips of small leaves sticking out. I almost spent more time cleaning the resin of my scissors than it took me to trim the buds.
The taste of Warlock is very earthy and old school. A two-month cure made the taste somewhat more pronounced, and also made the smoke a lot smoother. The strength of the aroma of the dried herb is extraordinary. Within minutes after opening the bag, the whole room will reek of Warlock.
The dry weight of the four plants totaled 300 grams of resinous, compact buds. I did not weigh the plants separately, but the untopped plant did not yield significantly less or more.
Then there’s the most important, and also the best part of Warlock; the effect. The high is crystal clear and makes for a perfect daytime smoke. It makes one very active, unless you smoke too much that is. The pleasant, long lasting high will then make room for a heavy indica couchlock stone, accompanied by munchies that will make you want to eat anything you can get your hands on. And then you will want to eat some more.
I cannot see this Magus variety put down any grower. It is relatively forgiving and therefore not too difficult to grow. Although the grower will need to practice some patience, the superb smoke with no doubt makes up for that.
Originally published in Weed World Magazine Issue 91